Mitchell Marsh has finally put his version about the ongoing saga involving discussions around David Warner’s replacement from Tests after his farewell game. As Australia gears up to take on Pakistan in the three-match Test series, the question that is circulating is, who will replace David Warner as the opener in the red-ball format? The southpaw has already announced that he will bring down the curtains on his Test career after the series against Pakistan.

The veteran opener has been an indispensable part of Australia’s Test team since making his debut in 2011. In 109 matches so far, he has scored more than 8000 runs with the help of 25 centuries and 36 half-centuries. Replacing a player of David Warner’s caliber is not an easy task for any team in the world and Australia are no exception.

According to media reports from Australia, the likes of Matt Renshaw, Cameron Bancroft, and Marcus Harris are the front-runners to replace David Warner in the team. There were also murmurs suggesting that Travis Head might be promoted as an opener but the World Cup hero has already made it clear that he would like to continue in the middle-order.

Mitchell Marsh on replacing David Warner:

Mitchell Marsh could also be an option to bat at the top of the order. He already has the experience of opening the innings in limited-overs cricket and his promotion could open up a slot for Cameron Green in the middle-order. As of now, there is little clarity over who will replace David Warner as an opener.

However, Mitchell Marsh has stated that he would not be the candidate to do so. The star allrounder has said that he’s ‘very reluctant to be a part of the conversation’ to replace the veteran opener. He cemented is spot in the middle-order after doing well in the Ashes earlier this year and is not willing to change his position.

“If Ron (McDonald, coach) is okay for me to try and get 150 before lunch on day one, I’ll put my hand up!” Mitchell Marsh told Cricket.com.au.

“There’s obviously been a little bit of chat about it and that’s all well and good – but I just got back into the team. I’m thoroughly enjoying my role at number six and that’s really all I’ll focus on.

“I’m happy for people to talk about it, but I don’t like being a part of the conversation because ultimately my job is to bat number six next week, and that’s what I’m looking forward to,” he added.

When speaking to SEN WA, he had said something similar, saying: “I’m very reluctant to be a part of the conversation (to replace Warner).

“I understand that people have to talk about it and there’s obviously a lot of options for this team at the moment. But my sole focus is batting at number six, and I thoroughly enjoy that role. That’s all I’m focused on this week,” he added.

Meanwhile, the first Test between Australia and Pakistan is scheduled to get underway on Thursday (December 14) in Perth.

#Reluctant.. #Mitchell #Marsh #Replacing #David #Warner #Test #Opener

By David

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *